If you hear the term social networking you might immediately think of sites like Facebook and Twitter. These are some of the biggest social networking sites, but there are actually hundreds of social networking, social media and social bookmarking sites on the internet. These big social sites dominate the industry and would have more members than all the other smaller social sites together. Let’s take a quick look at some of the bigger players in the social networking game and how they can benefit you.
Benefits of Social Networking
1. Facebook – Facebook is huge and is probably the biggest social networking website with millions of members worldwide. Facebook offers many different applications and games and many of the games themselves have become incredibly popular. Games like Farmville, Mafia Wars and Social City have people playing on Facebook for hours at a time.
Business people are now also using Facebook to network with potential customers and build a strong customer base. Facebook allows you to connect with customers on a personal level and build a strong and trusting relationship with them. You can also create fan pages and groups on Facebook that can be very useful for any business person marketing a website or business online.
2. Twitter – Twitter is also extremely popular and brings about a whole unique for of networking. With Twitter you micro-blog which is when you post short updates to your Twitter page. If you are using Twitter to promote your business you will want to seek out other Twitter members that are interested in your niche. When you find members that could be potential customers you then ‘follow’ them. When you begin to follow people many of them will follow you. Whenever you post an update to your Twitter page, your followers will see it.
The more members you have following you the more people you have to market to and you will find more and more people will begin to follow you. Keep on building up the number of people that you follow and your followers will also increase. When you have updated your own website or blog then you can put an update on Twitter with a link to your website or blog. Your followers can then see your website link and visit your website. You can even update your Twitter status via your mobile phone.
Twitter is an amazing tool for promoting an online business and there are thousands of Internet Marketers profiting from Twitter every day.
3. LiveJournal – LiveJournal is a social network blogging site where you can create your own blog within their community and other community members can read your blog posts. This is a great way to blog about your business and you will have a large community of members that you can market to. Every user at LiveJournal has a blog account and you can leave comments on other member’s blogs. The more active you are in the community the more users will comment on your blog and follow your blog posts.
4. Flickr – Flickr is a little different than most social networking in that it is based around photo sharing. With Flickr you can create an account and upload your favorite photos. Photos can be tagged, shared, edited and commented on and you can connect with other members through your interest in photography.
5. Digg – Digg is another great social networking site that is based around sharing news and media with other members of the community. When a member shares a news story, other members can leave comments or rate the media by ‘digging’ it. The media with the highest number of Diggs is the most popular and will have good exposure. This is a great way to promote your business if you can get a high number of Diggs and get a lot of exposure to your article.
These are just some of the top social networking websites and there are many others. If you are looking for a method to market your business then why not try some social networking websites.